A resident of Marion since 2007, I am passionate about my family and our community, driving me to seek election to the Marion City Council representing Ward 1. I have served as a Marion City Council member since 2018, when I was appointed to the City Council following a vacancy.
More information about my family, educational background and the importance I place on community can be found below. You can also view my LinkedIn profile.
If you have questions, please contact me!
“My husband, Rich, and I are grateful for the opportunity we had to raise our two children, Skyla (20) and Rick (19), in Marion. Nothing compares to the educational opportunities and community support in Marion.”
- Born in Charles City, Iowa
- Served in the United States Air Force, 1991-1996
- Married Rich Atkins, Ret. U.S. Air Force, in 1994
- Raised two children with Rich, Skyla (20) and Rick (19)
- Bachelor of Business Administration degree from University of North Dakota in 1997
- Master of Education degree from University of Oklahoma in 2003
Ph.D. in Educational Leadership degree from the University of Iowa (expected May 2020).
- Moved to Marion in 2007
- Helping young girls develop confidence and joy through running as Girls on the Run former Board member (2016-2019) and current volunteer and supporting student development through Junior Achievement (2009-present)
- Career in leadership positions in Higher Education at various institutions (2003-present)
- Appointed to serve on the Marion City Council (2018-present)